Rotary club members are part of a diverse group of professional leaders working to address various community and international service needs. Through community service and other means, Rotary club members help promote peace and understanding throughout the world. Our members are our most important asset. If your values and philosophy are aligned with the Rotary mission, we encourage you to consider Rotary membership.
Why Join Rotary?
Rotary membership offers numerous benefits, including:
- Promoting positive and effective change within the community
- Developing leadership skills
- Gaining an understanding of (and having an impact on) international humanitarian issues
- Developing relationships with community and business leaders
- Working with other professionals in your community to address community needs
- Assisting with Rotary International's humanitarian service efforts around the world
Becoming a Rotarian
An association of some 32,000 autonomous clubs in 168 countries, Rotary International is one of the world's largest service organizations. An important distinction between Rotary and other organizations is that membership in Rotary is by invitation. Rotary clubs invite individuals to join and become members. Membership is vital to a Rotary club's operations and community service activities. A primary goal of the club is to continually expand the club with committed members who have the interest and ability to get involved in service and humanitarian projects. Prospective members must:
- Hold (or be retired from) a professional, proprietary, executive, or managerial position
- Have the capacity to meet the club's weekly attendance or community project participation requirements
- Live or work within the locality of the club or the surrounding area.
The Membership Process
Often a person being considered for membership is invited by a member/sponsor to attend one or more club meetings to learn more about Rotary. The sponsor may then submit the name of the candidate to the club's membership committee.
Responsibilities of Membership
Rotary club membership carries with it certain responsibilities:
- Members are required to pay annual dues to their clubs, their districts, and to Rotary International
- Members are expected to participate in local or international activities or projects of the Rotary club
- Clubs encourage members to aspire to leadership or committee roles within their clubs